- Vietnamese workers, streaming to Japan, face risks as labor system opens up
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:20:29 -0400 - When a young Vietnamese woman found out late last year that she was pregnant after arriving in Japan on a "technical trainee" visa, she was given a stark choice: "Have an abortion or go back to Vietnam."
- Grieving New Zealand looks for lessons from Christchurch attack
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:19:49 -0400 - After days of intense grieving for New Zealand's worst-ever mass shooting, attention began to turn to how the country's gun laws need to change and what warning signs might have been missed ahead of a gunman's attack on two mosques that killed 50 people.
- 'I still love you': Christchurch survivor forgives his wife's killer
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:19:49 -0400 - A wheelchair-using worshipper who survived the slaughter at Christchurch's Al Noor mosque, but whose wife was killed, has offered an olive branch to the gunman, saying he would like to meet him and telling him "I still love you."
- Huawei leads Asian domination of U.N. patent applications in 2018
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:18:24 -0400 - Chinese telecoms giant Huawei led the pack with Asia accounting for more than half of the international patent applications at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) last year, WIPO said on Tuesday.
- Venezuela opposition takes control of diplomatic properties in U.S.
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:14:03 -0400 - Representatives of Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido have taken control of three of the country's diplomatic properties in the United States, Guaido's U.S. envoy said on Monday, as the opposition presses its bid to oust socialist President Nicolas Maduro.
- Exclusive: As Venezuela crisis deepens, U.S. sharpens focus on Colombia rebel threat
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:14:03 -0400 - As the United States makes its biggest diplomatic push in Latin America in years to try to oust Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, the U.S. military is zeroing in on a byproduct of the crisis: a strengthening of Colombian rebels on both sides of Venezuela's border.
- Canada re-examining Boeing 737 MAX approval after FAA certification probe
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:04:53 -0400 - Transport Canada is re-examining the validation it gave Boeing Co's 737 MAX jets, following reports of a U.S. probe into the aircraft's certification by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Canada's transport minister said on Monday.
- House panel expects thousands of documents in Trump probe
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:03:25 -0400 - The Democratic-led U.S. House Judiciary Committee said on Monday that it expects to receive tens of thousands of documents as part of its wide-ranging corruption and obstruction of justice probe of Republican President Donald Trump.
- U.S.-backed force says it has taken positions in Islamic State Syria camp
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:54:58 -0400 - U.S.-backed fighters said they had taken positions in Islamic State's last enclave in eastern Syria and air strikes pounded the tiny patch of land beside the Euphrates River early on Monday, a Reuters journalist said.
- Democrats target massage parlor proprietor linked to Trump
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:52:01 -0400 - Democratic congressional leaders have asked the FBI to investigate the founder of a Florida massage parlor chain who is an alleged acquaintance of President Donald Trump, according to a letter released on Monday.
- May's Brexit deal in chaos as Speaker sparks 'constitutional crisis'
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:37:01 -0400 - Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit plans were thrown into further turmoil on Monday when the speaker of parliament ruled that she could not put her divorce deal to a new vote unless it was re-submitted in fundamentally different form.
- Pro-Brexit Conservatives threaten strike if May delays EU exit by a year: the Sun
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:36:43 -0400 - Eurosceptic Conservative lawmakers have threatened to go on strike if Prime Minister Theresa May delays Brexit by a year, the Sun newspaper reported on Monday.
- U.S. states probing Hyundai, Kia over vehicle fires: Connecticut AG
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:35:22 -0400 - A group of U.S. states is investigating Hyundai Motor Co and Kia Motors Corp for potential unfair and deceptive acts related to reports of hundreds of vehicle fires, Connecticut Attorney General William Tong said on Monday.
- Goldman Sachs sets targets for Hispanic and black entry-level hires
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:22:17 -0400 - Goldman Sachs Group Inc is setting targets for hiring minority groups for the first time as it ramps up efforts to diversify its workforce, according to a memo sent by top executives to employees on Monday.
- Ethiopia and Indonesia crash parallels heap pressure on Boeing
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:21:50 -0400 - Investigators into the Boeing Co 737 MAX crash in Ethiopia have found striking similarities in a vital flight angle with an airplane that came down off Indonesia, a source said, piling pressure on the world's biggest planemaker.
- Alan Krueger, economic adviser to Obama and Clinton, takes own life at 58
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:18:40 -0400 - Alan Krueger, a prominent Princeton University economics professor who advised U.S. Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, took his own life over the weekend, his family said in a statement on Monday. He was 58.
- Two U.S. senators complain of slowing sanctions on North Korea
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:16:22 -0400 - Two senior U.S. senators called on Monday for the Trump administration to correct a slowing pace of U.S. sanctions designations on North Korea, saying there had been a marked decline in the past year of U.S. engagement with Pyongyang.
- Deutsche Bank merger talks with Commerzbank raise job fears, lift shares
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:12:45 -0400 - Deutsche Bank and Commerzbank faced concerns from workers unions, Chancellor Angela Merkel's office and top shareholders on Monday after confirming merger talks.
- German lawmakers challenge deputy finance minister's Goldman link in bank merger
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:12:45 -0400 - German lawmakers on Monday criticized deputy finance minister Joerg Kukies and Goldman Sachs, alleging a conflict of interest in the U.S. investment bank advising state-backed Commerzbank on a possible merger with Deutsche Bank.
- Wall St. advances ahead of Fed policy meeting
- Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:03:31 -0400 - Banks and tech helped lead Wall Street higher on Monday, while Boeing and Facebook were a drag and investors eyed this week's U.S. Federal Reserve meeting for affirmation of its commitment to "patient" monetary policy.