- Wall St falls as lower oil prices weigh on energy stocks
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 11:34:58 -0400 -
Oil prices fell 2.5 percent after U.S. government data showed a large unexpected weekly build in U.S. crude and distillate stockpiles and a smaller-than-expected draw in gasoline. The S&P 500 energy index plunged 1.6 percent as Exxon Mobil and Chevron fell 1 percent. Exxon was the top drag on the S&P 500 and Chevron on the Dow.
- Faced with crunch, Tesla plans to raise additional cash this year
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:23:13 -0400 -
Tesla Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk had warned the company might need "a small equity capital raise" in 2017. Earlier this month, Tesla said it closed the second quarter with nearly $3.25 billion in cash, but in July it repaid $678 million on a revolving credit line and planned to redeem $422 million in convertible notes. As a result, Tesla would be left with around $400 million in cash at a time when the company has been burning through cash and is in the process of acquiring and absorbing its money-losing sister company, SolarCity Corp.
- U.S. senators seek federal probe of Takata-linked explosion
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:59:50 -0400 -
Takata makes air bag inflators containing ammonium nitrate, which have been linked to at least 14 deaths and more than 150 injuries and resulted in a massive vehicle recall. The NTSB "must investigate this incident and determine whether this company took appropriate precautions," said a statement by Senators Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut and Edward Markey of Massachusetts, both Democrats. The NTSB did not immediately respond to a phone call asking if the agency will begin the investigation sought by the two senators.
- Deutsche Bank, Commerzbank held talks about tie-up
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:53:39 -0400 -
Top executives of Deutsche Bank and Commerzbank held talks on a potential combination of Germany's two biggest banks earlier this month, a source familiar with the matter said on Wednesday. "There was a round of talks in late August in which (Deutsche Bank Chief Executive) John Cryan and (Chief Financial Officer) Marcus Schenck were present," the source said. Deutsche Bank and Commerzbank declined to comment.
- U.S. pending home sales jump in July
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:11:11 -0400 -
Contracts to buy previously owned U.S. homes surged in July after two straight months of declines as demand rose almost across the board, suggesting the housing market remains on solid ground despite last month's drop in home resales. The National Association of Realtors said on Wednesday its Pending Home Sales Index, based on contracts signed last month, increased 1.3 percent to 111.3, the second highest reading in over a decade.
- Fed's Evans, citing slow growth, says low U.S. rates are here to stay
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 03:17:52 -0400 -
Chicago Federal Reserve Bank President Charles Evans on Wednesday said he is increasingly convinced that U.S. economic growth has slowed permanently, a situation that will keep U.S. interest rates low for a long time ahead. Embracing Harvard Professor Larry Summers' so-called secular stagnation theory, Evans argued that an aging U.S. population and slowing productivity growth mean there is little reason for interest rates to rise either fast or far. Expectations of low growth have become so embedded in corporate and investing behavior, he said, that even if inflation rises unexpectedly and the Fed has to raise rates faster than it now anticipates, a detrimental spike in long-term interest rates is unlikely.
- U.S. Treasury says EU's Apple tax ruling aimed at U.S. companies
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:45:08 -0400 -
The U.S. Treasury sought to keep pressure on the European Union to rescind a ruling that Apple Inc pay up to $14.5 billion in back taxes, a move Washington says breaches international tax rules and sets the stage for more actions against U.S. companies. The tax deal between Apple and Ireland that allowed the U.S. technology giant pay a tax rate that the European Commission said was effectively 1 percent of its profits is the latest spat between Brussels and Washington over company regulation. "I have been concerned that it reflected an attempt to reach in to the U.S. tax base to tax income that ought to be taxed in the United States," U.S. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew said on Wednesday at an event to discuss Washington's position ahead of a meeting of the Group of 20 industrial nations in China next week.
- Dubliners divided over Apple windfall dilemma
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 09:49:29 -0400 -
By Conor Humphries DUBLIN (Reuters) - Faced with a $14.5 billion windfall after an EU ruling on Apple's tax affairs, carer Louise O'Reilly knew exactly what the Irish government should do with the money: spend it on pensioners who are struggling to get by. In fact the penalty, which the EU Commission on Tuesday ordered Apple to pay as back taxes to Ireland, would cover the country's entire annual health service bill or six percent of its national debt.
- U.S. private sector adds 177,000 jobs in August: ADP
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 08:27:25 -0400 -
U.S. private employers added 177,000 jobs in August, above economists' expectations, a report by a payrolls processor showed on Wednesday. Economists surveyed by Reuters had forecast the ADP National Employment Report would show a gain of 175,000 jobs, with estimates ranging from 135,000 to 225,000. The ADP figures come ahead of the U.S. Labor Department's more comprehensive non-farm payrolls report on Friday, which includes both public and private-sector employment.
- U.S. housing market turnover to improve over coming year: Reuters poll
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 09:41:07 -0400 -
The results, from a poll taken Aug. 15 to 30, are based on optimism about a continued strong job market and spell good news for the U.S. economy given all of the industries tied to housing, from construction to furniture sales. "The tighter U.S. labor market will lead to stronger wage income growth over the coming year. Combined with still-low mortgage rates, income growth will lead to stronger purchase demand," said Andres Carbacho-Burgos, analyst at Moody's Analytics in West Chester, Pa.
- Acer Pawbo+ helps you play with your pets and even feed them from your phone
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 11:31:10 -0400 -
The new Pawbo+ video calls your pets and dispenses treats even when you're out of the house.
- Ancient bones help reconstruct 6th century plague
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:56:50 -0400 -
Skeletons dating back 1,500 years have yielded secrets about the mysterious plague that wiped out 50 million people during the time of the Byzantine Empire.
- It's official: Netflix greenlights 'Stranger Things' season two
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 09:42:12 -0400 -
"Stranger Things" fans, prepare for goosebumps: Netflix has officially renewed the hit paranormal thriller with a YouTube video set to the show's retro theme music.
- Self-checking chips could eliminate hardware security issues
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 09:14:11 -0400 -
Researchers may have found a way to validate chips, so all concerned parties are satisfied the silicon is backdoor-free.
- How to upgrade to the Nextcloud 10 cloud server in seven easy steps
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 09:09:00 -0400 -
If you're eager to give the Nextcloud 10 beta a try, Jack Wallen walks you through the process of a manual upgrade. One great feature in Nextcloud 10 is brute-force protection.
- Chris Brown rants against LAPD on Instagram, as Facebook Live shows police outside his home
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 08:39:36 -0400 -
The social network broadcasts a standoff after police respond to a call from a "female requesting help." Meanwhile, Brown posts his version of events on Instagram.
- Slick music player visualises song lyrics, costs $3,000
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 07:22:36 -0400 -
Out in September, the Lyric Speaker is a stylish and convenient gadget. It's also really expensive.
- Closing the tech gender gap: How women can negotiate a higher salary
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 07:00:00 -0400 -
Women age 18-25 working in tech make 29% less than their male counterparts, according to a new report. Here are some tips to improve negotiation tactics and get paid what you deserve.
- OS/2 resurrected: Blue Lion becomes ArcaOS, details emerge for upcoming release
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 06:17:57 -0400 -
After WarpStock Europe, ArcaOS, the new OS/2 distribution previously codenamed Blue Lion, is scheduled for release in Q4 2016.
- Mountain Dew vs Coca-Cola: Which soda is worse for your teeth?
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 05:32:59 -0400 -
Watch a young scientist test which soda dissolves his sister's molars faster.
- Bosch partners with creator of connected kitchen scale for smart oven
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 05:01:45 -0400 -
The appliance maker will use software from Drop, best known for its smart kitchen scale, in its Series 8 connected ovens.
- Forza Horizon 3 lets you joyride in Halo's Warthog
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 04:53:33 -0400 -
Master Chief's own ride will be added to the upcoming racing game if you've previously played a Halo game on Xbox One.
- Sshh! Logitech's new silent mice keep noise pollution out of the office
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 03:01:02 -0400 -
The company engineered the M220 Silent and the M330 Silent Plus to register the same clicking tactility but with over 90 percent noise reduction.
- Google saying goodbye to Nexus branding, report says
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 01:41:05 -0400 -
The search giant is rebranding its Nexus phone line, which began with the HTC-made Nexus One in 2010, according to Android Central.
- What's really at stake in EU battle: Apple's brand image
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 01:30:03 -0400 -
Technically Incorrect: It's not so much about the money. It's about Apple being viewed as the bad guy.
- Beats beats lawsuit claiming fraud before $3.2B sale to Apple
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 01:00:35 -0400 -
Summary judgment dismisses claims that Beats co-founders Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine duped a former partner into relinquishing control of the line of headphones.
- Joe Sutter, the 'father of the 747,' dies at 95
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 00:46:42 -0400 -
Sutter led the engineering team that developed the world's first jumbo jet, as well as being involved with creation of several other iconic aircraft.
- Snapchat Discover serves up a Serena Williams tennis game
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 00:41:41 -0400 -
You can play through all of the female world No. 1's major tournament victories on Snapchat. Watch out for tennis elbow.
- Knight Rider cometh: Kawasaki building AI into its motorcycles
- Wed, 31 Aug 2016 00:33:22 -0400 -
The Japanese motor industry giant has taken a page out of '80s action TV shows, with its in-development companion AI.
- Robots forced to head bang, but it's for their own good
- Tue, 30 Aug 2016 22:11:02 -0400 -
Don't blame it on the sunshine, the moonlight or the good times. Blame it on the actuators.
- Privacy and privates: What you should learn from Anthony Weiner
- Tue, 30 Aug 2016 21:30:30 -0400 -
There's no such thing as safe sexting, but tons of people still send risque messages. What could go wrong?
- Apple beefs up iCloud Drive storage capacity to 2TB
- Tue, 30 Aug 2016 19:28:18 -0400 -
Customers can double their storage max on the cloud-based service for $19.99 per month.
- PlayStation Now launches on PC
- Tue, 30 Aug 2016 19:02:51 -0400 -
Starting today, you can play select PlayStation 3 games on your Windows PC, as long as you have a PlayStation Now subscription.
- Uber snags Target's chief marketing officer as new president of ridesharing
- Tue, 30 Aug 2016 18:49:41 -0400 -
Jeff Jones' focus at the ride-hailing company will be to "fuse" its marketing message with its global operations, CEO Travis Kalanick says.
- Are cloud services good enough to store our digital life? (Open_Tab)
- Tue, 30 Aug 2016 18:41:45 -0400 -
From baby photos to your next novel, we go over the pain points and conveniences of today's cloud services. What are your favorites?
- Denon unveils first HEOS streaming receivers
- Tue, 30 Aug 2016 18:19:38 -0400 -
Denon has announced two new "X" series receivers that will feature the company's proprietary HEOS streaming protocol, two years after it debuted.
- Corning wants to put its Gorilla Glass on your next smartwatch
- Tue, 30 Aug 2016 17:59:09 -0400 -
The glassmaker revealed Gorilla Glass SR+, a new super scratch-resistant material made specially for smartwatches.
- Lowe's robot wants to help you find the plumbing aisle
- Tue, 30 Aug 2016 17:39:18 -0400 -
Home improvement store Lowe's is testing out a customer service robot that scans inventory and helps customers find products.
- Google to bring Waze-based ridesharing to San Francisco
- Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:44:13 -0400 -
It's not exactly an Uber competitor. In fact, Google hopes that its users *won't* end up turning into taxi drivers.
- Sonos music systems adding Alexa voice support in 2017
- Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:39:50 -0400 -
Sonos has announced that its line of multi-room music products will soon be compatible with Amazon's Alexa voice assistant and Spotify Connect.