- Trump heaps another 5% tariff on Chinese goods in latest tit-for-tat escalation
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 22:45:37 -0400 - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday lashed back at a new round of Chinese tariffs by heaping an additional 5% duty on some $550 billion in targeted Chinese goods in the latest tit-for-tat trade war escalation by the world's two largest economies.
- Oil spills into U.S.-China trade war, prices slump
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 22:45:37 -0400 - China said on Friday it would impose tariffs on U.S. crude oil imports for the first time, sending prices down nearly 4% to two-week lows as the escalating bilateral trade war fed worries over a slowdown in global oil demand.
- North Korea's latest short-range missile launch complicates U.S. attempts for talks
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 22:34:02 -0400 - North Korea fired what appeared to be two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea off its east coast on Saturday, the South Korean military said, the latest in a series of launches in recent weeks amid stalled denuclearisation talks.
- Psychologist approved Jeffrey's Epstein's removal from suicide watch
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 22:04:43 -0400 - A psychologist at the federal detention center in New York City where financier Jeffrey Epstein was jailed on sex-trafficking charges had approved his removal from suicide watch before he killed himself, the U.S. Justice Department said on Friday.
- Kentucky clerk who refused same-sex marriage licenses can be sued
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 22:02:56 -0400 - The Kentucky county clerk who in 2015 gained widespread attention for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples may be sued for damages by two of those couples, a federal appeals court ruled on Friday.
- U.S. Justice Ginsburg treated for pancreatic cancer
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 22:02:04 -0400 - Liberal U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has completed a three-week course of radiation therapy to treat a cancerous tumor on her pancreas, a court spokeswoman said on Friday.
- Trump administration considers boost to biofuel mandates to ease farmer anger: sources
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 22:01:42 -0400 - The Trump administration is considering ramping up biofuel blending quotas in the coming years to assuage anger in the Farm Belt over its recent broad use of waivers for small refineries, but is not planning to rescind any of the exemptions it has granted so far, four sources familiar with the matter said.
- Trump presses U.S. companies to close China operations
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 22:00:53 -0400 - President Donald Trump said on Friday he was ordering U.S. companies to look at ways to close their operations in China and make more of their products in the United States instead, sending U.S. markets down sharply in a new rhetorical strike at Beijing as trade tensions mounted.
- Christian couple can sue over Minnesota same-sex marriage video law
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 21:58:57 -0400 - A federal appeals court on Friday revived a lawsuit by a Minnesota couple challenging a state law requiring that their video production company film same-sex weddings, which they say violates their Christian beliefs.
- U.S. House lawmakers ask regulators to scrutinize bank cloud providers
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 21:56:28 -0400 - Two U.S. lawmakers have called on a top financial regulatory panel to consider direct oversight of the cloud services big tech companies provide to banks, saying they have become a critical component of the global financial system.
- Hong Kong airport operating normally despite planned 'stress test' protest
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 21:23:00 -0400 - Hong Kong's airport and the roads and railways leading to it were operating normally early on Saturday despite plans by protesters to implement a "stress test" of transport links to the aviation hub early in the day.
- As EU threatens trade retaliation, Brazil sends army to fight Amazon fires
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 21:07:02 -0400 - European leaders on Friday threatened to tear up a trade deal with South America, reflecting growing international anger at Brazil as a record number of fires in the Amazon rainforest intensified an unfolding environmental crisis.
- Hong Kong families form peaceful human chains ahead of airport protest
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 21:01:12 -0400 - Thousands of chanting Hong Kong protesters joined hands to form human chains on Friday in a peaceful protest, with almost three months of anti-government demonstrations showing no sign of let-up across the Chinese-ruled territory.
- Encouraged by Johnson's visit, UK officials now hoping rest of EU agrees to work on Brexit solution
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 21:00:07 -0400 - Britain is hoping the rest of the European Union falls in behind France and Germany and agrees to work on solving a deadlock over Brexit, with officials sensing a glimmer of hope after meetings this week, but conscious of the need for a wider consensus in Europe.
- Wall Street Weekahead: Investors look at dollar stores as U.S. recession fears increase
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 20:33:38 -0400 - More investors are watching the shares of discount retailers like Dollar General Corp and Dollar Tree Inc , which perform better during economic downturns, in the hopes of gauging changes in consumer behavior, though higher tariffs may erode the companies' ability to act as economic bellwethers.
- U.S. aware of reports of North Korea missile launch, consulting with allies: official
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 20:33:23 -0400 - The United States is aware of reports of a North Korean missile launch and is consulting with Japan and South Korea, a senior administration official said on Friday.
- Factbox: From phone makers to farmers, the toll of Trump's trade wars
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 20:15:15 -0400 - The world's two largest economies, China and the United States, on Friday exchanged blows in the latest escalation in their trade war that has roiled supply chains and whipsawed financial markets.
- Japan coastguard says it detected North Korean ballistic missile launch
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 19:12:38 -0400 - Japan's coastguard said it had detected ballistic missile launches from North Korea on Saturday and warned shipping to stay to stay clear of any debris.
- Global disputes likely to thwart unity at G7 summit in France
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 19:09:37 -0400 - Leaders of the G7 nations arrive in France on Saturday for a summit as a brewing U.S.-China confrontation over protectionism highlighted President Emmanuel Macron's tough task in delivering meaningful results on trade, Iran and climate change.
- Kashmir protesters defy restrictions, clash with security forces
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 18:34:06 -0400 - Security forces used tear gas against stone-throwing local residents in Indian Kashmir's main city of Srinagar on Friday, after a third straight week of protests in the restive Soura district despite the imposition of tight restrictions.