- Asian shares slip, U.S. presidential debate awaited
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 20:24:20 -0400 -
Asian shares began the week under a cloud on Monday after losses on Wall Street, as investors' attention turned from central banks to American politics ahead of the first U.S. presidential debate. MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan was down 0.1 percent in early trade, while Japan's Nikkei stock index slumped 0.5 percent against the headwinds of a stronger currency Wall Street logged weekly gains but ended with solid losses on Friday. The S&P 500 still managed to record its best weekly performance in more than two months after the U.S. Federal Reserve held interest rates steady on Wednesday.
- Lanxess to buy Chemtura for about $2.12 billion in cash
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 19:35:07 -0400 -
Lanxess, the world's largest synthetic rubber maker, is offering $33.50 in cash for every Chemtura share, representing a premium of about 19 percent to the Philadelphia-based company's close on Friday. Lanxess will use existing funds and bridge financing to buy Chemtura in a deal with an enterprise value of about 2.4 billion euros ($2.69 billion), it said in a statement. With this deal, Lanxess will not further pursue its earlier-announced share buyback of around 200 million euros.
- Oil prices rebound after Algeria says all options open at OPEC meeting
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 21:28:45 -0400 -
Crude prices rebounded on Monday after Algeria's energy minister said the day before that all options were possible for an oil output cut or freeze at this week's informal meeting of OPEC producers. Members of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries will meet on the sidelines of the International Energy Forum in Algeria from Sept. 26-28, where they will discuss a possible output-limiting deal.
- Canada Unifor union ratifies C$554-million new investment GM deal
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 21:30:18 -0400 -
By Ethan Lou TORONTO (Reuters) - Canada's Unifor union has ratified a deal with General Motors Co that will see C$554 million ($420.84 million) invested in local plants, the labor group said on Sunday as it prepares for related talks with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV. The deal was ratified after 64.7 percent of workers voted approve it, Unifor said in an evening statement. Unifor, which represents some 4,000 GM workers, reached the deal on Monday.
- Tencent to donate 2 percent of profit as Chinese online charity grows
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 05:38:40 -0400 -
By Sijia Jiang HONG KONG (Reuters) - Chinese billionaire Pony Ma Huateng, the founder of internet group Tencent, on Friday said his company would donate 2 percent of its annual profit to charity and flagged growth in the use of mobile internet in China's philanthropy sector. Ma's pledge follows China's introduction of new laws earlier this month that provided a legal framework for approved internet companies to raise and manage funds for charity. It also comes days after Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan said they would donate more than $3 billion toward a plan to "cure, prevent or manage" all disease.
- European firms offer Britain scant support in divorce talks
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 05:07:09 -0400 -
More than 20 European business associations and companies interviewed by Reuters say they back their governments' position that Britain's banking sector can only enjoy EU market access post-Brexit if the country still follows the bloc's rules. Britain wants a trade deal that gives London's financial district, known as the City, access to EU clients while allowing the government to restrict migration from the bloc - something at odds with the basic rules of the European Union. Senior lawmakers in the British government have said they expect European business groups to support their position because they need access to the financial services the City provides.
- HERE, automakers team up to share data on traffic conditions
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 18:07:06 -0400 -
By Eric Auchard LONDON (Reuters) - German digital map maker HERE will introduce a new set of traffic services this week that allows drivers to see for themselves what live road conditions are like miles ahead using data from competing automakers, an industry first. The Berlin-based company, owned by Germany's three premium automakers, will provide four services in which drivers share detailed video views of traffic jams or accidents, potential road hazards like fog or slippery streets, traffic signs including temporary speed limits and on-street parking. Other automakers are expected to join the project later and contribute data from their vehicles, HERE said.
- Majority of UK CEOs considering moving operations abroad post-Brexit: survey
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 20:02:49 -0400 -
Three-quarters of British company bosses are considering moving operations abroad following the vote to leave the European Union, according to a survey published on Monday. The KPMG survey of 100 UK chief executives, from companies with revenues between 100 million pounds and 1 billion pounds ($130 million-$1.30 billion), found 86 percent were confident about their company's growth prospects and 69 percent were confident about the British economy's growth prospects over the next three years. "CEOs are reacting to the prevailing uncertainty with contingency planning," said Simon Collins, KPMG UK chairman.
- Snapchat to offer camera-equipped sunglasses in first hardware push
- Sat, 24 Sep 2016 16:00:01 -0400 -
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Snap Inc, the newly renamed parent company of messaging app Snapchat, plans to start selling camera-equipped sunglasses starting this fall, Chief Executive Evan Spiegel told the Wall Street Journal in an interview. The sunglasses, dubbed Spectacles, will be sold via limited distribution for about $130, said Spiegel, who described the device as a toy. The first hardware to be sold by Snap, the sunglasses will record video from the user's perspective in 10-second increments that can be synched with his or her smart-phone. ...
- Former employees file class action against Wells Fargo
- Sat, 24 Sep 2016 15:02:04 -0400 -
Two former Wells Fargo & Co employees have filed a class action in California seeking $2.6 billion or more for workers who tried to meet aggressive sales quotas without engaging in fraud and were later demoted, forced to resign or fired. The lawsuit on behalf of people who worked for Wells Fargo in California over the past 10 years, including current employees, focuses on those who followed the rules and were penalized for not meeting sales quotas. "Wells Fargo fired or demoted employees who failed to meet unrealistic quotas while at the same time providing promotions to employees who met these quotas by opening fraudulent accounts," the lawsuit filed on Thursday in California Superior Court in Los Angeles County said.
- One astonishing picture of Hillary Clinton shows who and what we've become
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 20:24:08 -0400 -
Technically Incorrect: Posted to Twitter by the design lead for Hillary for America, this will surely be one of the iconic images of our age.
- The terrifying moment a pilot is hit by another plane on runway
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 18:30:03 -0400 -
Technically Incorrect: It seems impossible to believe. But the pilot of a small race plane had engine trouble. Another plane continues to take off behind him.
- Actors can get their age removed from IMDb under new California law
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 17:34:17 -0400 -
California Gov. Jerry Brown signed the legislation Saturday, which would require entertainment database websites to remove an actor's age five days after receiving a request to do so.
- 'The Simpsons' pays tribute to 'Adventure Time' in couch gag
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 16:22:26 -0400 -
Bart, Homer, Lisa, Maggie, Mr. Burns and even Santa's Little Helper are reimagined as "Adventure Time" characters in the Season 28 premiere of "The Simpsons."
- Bill Maher rages at Apple for releasing dull iPhone 7
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 15:30:02 -0400 -
Technically Incorrect: The talk show host insists that the only people who want you to buy the new phone are Apple shareholders. He's also appalled by those who stand in the "nerd line."
- China begins listening for E.T. on world's largest radio telescope
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 15:12:04 -0400 -
Massive telescope will be used to survey galaxies and listen to signals from extraterrestrial civilizations.
- 'Star Wars Rebels' characters, Marvel's Groot are encouraging kids to exercise
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 13:34:00 -0400 -
Jedi and "Guardians of the Galaxy" characters are among those spotlighting the "Improve Your Selfie" health campaign launched by Disney.
- Snapchat Spectacles, glasses with a camera, coming this fall
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 13:00:12 -0400 -
Snapchat gets a new name, Snap Inc., and will soon release camera-equipped glasses that shoot first-person video.
- 2017 North American Car, Truck and Utility Vehicle of the Year Award semifinalists announced
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 11:46:18 -0400 -
These cars, trucks and SUVs are one step closer to winning one of the auto industry's most coveted awards.
- Baseball player suspended over Black Lives Matter tweets
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 11:30:00 -0400 -
Technically Incorrect: Seattle's pro baseball team suspends catcher Steve Clevenger for, among other things, calling the group pathetic after the Charlotte protests.
- Where Clinton, Trump stand on 7 big tech issues
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 11:12:40 -0400 -
Ahead of Monday's debate, we look at how the candidates stack up on cybersecurity, privacy, STEM and other topics affecting tech.
- Stephen Hawking quiere encontrar a los extraterrestres antes que lo hagan ellos
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 11:00:03 -0400 -
El famoso cosmólogo está en busca de señales de seres extraterrestres, pero advierte que debemos tener cuidado de invitarlos a visitar la Tierra.
- Facebook or Twitter for the presidential debate? You want to agree or argue?
- Sun, 25 Sep 2016 10:57:54 -0400 -
Streaming the debate will be the same on both social networks. The comments? Not so much.
- Oculus founder Palmer Luckey's role in Clinton smear group remains murky
- Sat, 24 Sep 2016 17:07:13 -0400 -
VR's boy genius funneled money toward a shady pro-Trump charity. But he disagrees with The Daily Beast about what he did -- or didn't -- say.
- Which smart bulbs should you use with Alexa?
- Sat, 24 Sep 2016 08:00:13 -0400 -
Amazon's voice-activated virtual assistant can control a growing number of smart lights. If you're wondering which ones are the best fit for your home, we're here to help.
- Trim your wireless bill -- skip that phone upgrade
- Sat, 24 Sep 2016 08:00:10 -0400 -
In this edition of Ask Maggie, CNET's Marguerite Reardon explains why wireless customers should resist the temptation to get a new phone every two years.
- Possible Snapchat glasses with camera emerge in leaked video
- Fri, 23 Sep 2016 22:45:17 -0400 -
Snapchat was recruiting hardware experts earlier this year. Could they be at work on the camera-equipped glasses shown in this leaked footage?
- Welcome to the club, Yahoo: 10 other massive hacks
- Fri, 23 Sep 2016 19:44:02 -0400 -
With hacking tools outpacing cybersecurity developments, breaches have become more common.
- Yahoo already hit with lawsuits over hack
- Fri, 23 Sep 2016 19:43:46 -0400 -
Yahoo users are fighting back after what's being called the biggest data breach in history.
- Polyester pants dampen rats' sex appeal: Ig Nobel prizes honor weird research
- Fri, 23 Sep 2016 19:21:27 -0400 -
This year's awards celebrate goofy scientific studies involving itches and rocks with personalities. There's even a dig at the Volkswagen scandal.
- It'll grow on you: Check out America's best facial hair
- Fri, 23 Sep 2016 19:07:36 -0400 -
From the exotic to the elegant, these guys were a big hairy deal at the National Beard and Moustache Championships.
- Hackers post image of Michelle Obama's passport
- Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:51:21 -0400 -
Breach of White House contractor's email apparently reveals schedules, whereabouts of first lady, VP Joe Biden and presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.
- Confirmed: Fruit Ninja game will be blended into a big-screen film
- Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:10:13 -0400 -
Move over, Angry Birds. The juicy mobile-game app will soon be coming to a theater near you.
- New Google Wi-Fi router may share stage with Pixel phone Oct. 4
- Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:05:40 -0400 -
Called Google Wifi, the device is expected to cost $129, according to a new report.
- Twitter buyout rumors hint at Google, Salesforce interest
- Fri, 23 Sep 2016 17:42:49 -0400 -
Big names surface as rumors around a potential Twitter sale swirl. A formal bid may even be in the works.
- SpaceX zeroes in on cause of spectacular rocket explosion
- Fri, 23 Sep 2016 17:40:00 -0400 -
Elon Musk's space company posts preliminary results of its investigation into an "anomaly" that led to the loss of a Falcon 9 rocket and Amos-6 satellite.
- Eric Trump says millennials admire his dad because he's like Zuckerberg
- Fri, 23 Sep 2016 17:17:10 -0400 -
Technically Incorrect: The Republican nominee's son insists that his dad has come from nothing and built something.
- G2 Crowd: Crowdsourced software reviews lead to enterprise insights
- Fri, 23 Sep 2016 16:45:00 -0400 -
G2 Crowd collects crowdsourced enterprise software reviews, and uses its data to produce analyst reports. Find out the highest-ranking security, storage, and software of 2016, according to G2 Crowd.
- Is Kia's 200-hp Soul heading to the US?
- Fri, 23 Sep 2016 16:33:52 -0400 -
The answer is a very strong "probably."
- Lindsey Stirling's sterling YouTube career
- Fri, 23 Sep 2016 16:29:42 -0400 -
From CNET Magazine: The violinist, dancer and composer is blurring the line between internet and mainstream fame, one video at a time.