- Wall Street flat as investors test post-election rally
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 10:01:32 -0500 -
Investors have been flocking to sectors such as financials and industrials, which are most likely to benefit from President-elect Donald Trump's proposals of more fiscal stimulus and simpler regulations. Since the Nov. 8 election, the Dow Jones industrial average has risen 5 percent, the S&P 500 3.4 percent and the Nasdaq 2.7 percent. While an interest rate hike at the Federal Reserve's meeting next week is a foregone conclusion, investors are on the lookout for how the central bank views Trump's pro-growth policies and whether that could lead to more aggressive rate hikes next year.
- AT&T touts Time Warner merger at Senate hearing
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 11:40:19 -0500 -
"By owning Time Warner content, we will be able to innovate more quickly, experiment more readily, tweak our offerings as we gauge customer response and bring consumers the options they seek," Stephenson said at a Senate hearing. The Justice Department will determine whether the deal is legal under antitrust law. Senator Amy Klobuchar, the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee's antitrust panel, expressed concern that the deal would create incentives for AT&T to refuse to license Time Warner content to competitors.
- Exclusive: U.S. regulator set to fail Wells Fargo on fair lending test - sources
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 14:09:53 -0500 -
Wells Fargo is due to be deemed a bank that "needs to improve" under the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA), a law meant promote fair lending. The ruling from the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the main regulator for national banks, is due by early January, said the sources with knowledge of the plans. A Wells Fargo spokesperson was not immediately available for comment.
- Trump takes aim at drugmakers and pharma, biotech stocks fall
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 12:33:08 -0500 -
President-elect Donald Trump on Wednesday took aim at drugmakers, promising in a magazine interview that "I'm going to bring down drug prices," and shares of U.S. pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies fell. The Republican president-elect, a wealthy real estate developer, did not state in the interview how he would reduce drug prices. Trump previously has suggested he was open to allowing importation of cheaper medicines from overseas, a move that has been consistently opposed by the pharmaceutical industry and U.S. health regulators.
- Exclusive: In mammoth task, BP sends almost three million barrels of U.S. oil to Asia
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 01:52:58 -0500 -
Oil major BP is shipping almost three million barrels of U.S. crude to customers across Asia, pioneering a lengthy and complex operation likely to become more popular after OPEC last week announced deep production cuts. BP's efforts, involving one of the world's longest sea routes, seven tankers and a series of ship-to-ship transfers, underscore a desire among oil traders to develop new routes to sell swelling supplies of cheap U.S. shale oil to Asia, the world's biggest consumer region. While exports of U.S. crude have been allowed since a 40-year ban was lifted a year ago, the distance, cost and complexity of shipping to Asia has so far kept the flow to a trickle.
- Trump defends Boeing tweet, says companies shouldn't worry
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 09:43:02 -0500 -
U.S. President-elect Donald Trump on Wednesday defended his direct interventions with companies, including making statements on Twitter, saying businesses will benefit from his actions and his upcoming term in office. One day after criticizing one of Boeing Co's high-profile projects in a tweet, Trump told NBC that he anticipated "tremendous" economic growth under his administration but reiterated his warning that companies shifting U.S. jobs overseas would have to pay. "I don't know ... how people are unnerved," Trump told NBC's "Today" program.
- Ford releases for sale half of 10-speed F-150 stockpiled trucks
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 14:08:27 -0500 -
DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co by Wednesday had released for sale half of the 15,000 F-150 pickup trucks with 10-speed transmissions that were held to ensure quality, a company spokeswoman said. Reuters reported on Tuesday that some of the 2017 models of F-150 were being delayed due to fixes needed for the first application of a 10-speed transmission. (Reporting by Bernie Woodall; Editing by Chris Reese)
- Airbus set to win Canadian deal for search-and-rescue aircraft: source
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 14:09:00 -0500 -
PARIS (Reuters) - Canada is set to select Airbus Group to provide search-and-rescue (SAR) aircraft, a source familiar with the matter said on Wednesday, with Airbus beating Italy's Leonardo in winning the deal.
- U.S. mortgage rates rise to highest levels in over two years: MBA
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 09:24:20 -0500 -
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Interest rates on U.S. fixed-rate mortgages rose to their highest levels in more than two years, sending weekly home loan application activity to its weakest since early January, Mortgage Bankers Association data released on Wednesday showed.
- Retailer Wal-Mart de Mexico to invest $1.3 billion in Mexico
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 14:18:38 -0500 -
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Retailer Wal-Mart de Mexico will invest $1.3 billion in logistics in Latin America's No.2 economy, the company said on Wednesday, a show of confidence in Mexico at a time of uncertainty after the election of Donald Trump.
- US homebuilder confidence holds steady in November
- Mon, 18 Nov 2013 11:13:49 -0500 -
U.S. homebuilders' confidence in the housing market held steady this month, but many are worried that another fight over the federal budget could cause would-be buyers to put off home purchases.
- Learn cybersecurity basics with these essential YouTube videos
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 13:57:38 -0500 -
A hand-picked list of must-watch cybersecurity videos to help you learn the fundamentals of encryption, how hackers penetrate systems, and strong cyber-defense tactics for business.
- NIST's Cybersecurity Framework offers small businesses a vital information security toolset
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 11:58:00 -0500 -
Small businesses run lean, and bad guys know that means security may be less than adequate. NIST researchers share ways that small businesses can protect their information.
- Top 10 innovation trends to watch, according to Ford
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 11:44:40 -0500 -
On Wednesday, the American auto giant released its annual trend report, highlighting three past trends and seven to look for in 2017. Here's what you should know.
- How Amazon is moving closer to on-premises compute with Snowball Edge
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 11:34:00 -0500 -
At first glance, Snowball Edge looks very similar to a hyperconverged infrastructure solution. AWS is using the device to lower barriers to the public cloud for potential customers.
- Why geocoding is better than street addresses, and will power future tech and services
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 10:46:39 -0500 -
Both What3Words and Google's open location codes identify locations more precisely and concisely than conventional addresses. Here's how.
- Fedora 25: Bleeding edge and bloody brilliant
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 10:45:42 -0500 -
If you've been waiting for a reason to come back to Fedora, here's why the 25th iteration might be the perfect time.
- Alibaba's YunOS overtakes iOS in China, but what is it?
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 10:28:53 -0500 -
YunOS now has the second largest Chinese market share, right between Android and iOS, but despite its prominence many people don't know what it is.
- Microsoft partners with Cray to run deep learning algorithms on supercomputers
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 10:05:35 -0500 -
Microsoft and Cray recently unveiled a collaborative work scaling the Microsoft Cognitive Toolkit to run on a Cray XC50 supercomputer, getting results faster then before.
- GE's lamp of the future is the first embedded with Amazon's Alexa Voice Service
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 09:59:00 -0500 -
The cool factor of smart home technology goes up a notch with the debut of a new voice-controlled table lamp from GE.
- The smart city security nightmare: How cities can stay awake
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 08:44:00 -0500 -
One of the elephants in the room at the 2016 Smart Cities Summit in Boston was cybersecurity. It threatens to derail the most optimistic plans for making cities more efficient and more responsive.
- Should your business adopt mobile payments?
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 07:00:02 -0500 -
One-third of consumers expect mobile money will dominate payments within a decade, yet merchants have been slow to catch up. Here's why you should consider mobile payments, and how to get started.
- Why the most boring IoT data may actually make the most money
- Wed, 07 Dec 2016 06:30:03 -0500 -
Most people think of IoT as all about smartphones and smart watches, but the smartest money of all may be on dumb, industrial-grade sensors.
- Evie brings a new level of efficiency to the Android home screen
- Tue, 06 Dec 2016 16:45:21 -0500 -
Not all Android home screens are built for efficiency. If efficiency is what you seek, look no further than Evie Launcher.
- How an analytics app is changing the lives of acne patients
- Tue, 06 Dec 2016 15:49:00 -0500 -
Approximately 500 million people suffer from acne, though only a very small percentage of sufferers see a dermatologist for advice. Find out how an analytics app is democratizing acne treatment.
- Infographic: Many companies lack skills to implement and support AI and machine learning
- Tue, 06 Dec 2016 15:43:00 -0500 -
In a recent Tech Pro Research survey, respondents indicated that understanding of AI and machine learning was limited in their workplaces.
- Android Security Bulletin December 2016: What you need to know
- Tue, 06 Dec 2016 14:57:00 -0500 -
Although there are no new Critical vulnerabilities in the Android December 2016 Security Bulletin, there are plenty of flaws to be found this month. Get the highlights.
- Amazon embraces hybrid cloud as a means to push people to the public cloud
- Tue, 06 Dec 2016 14:37:43 -0500 -
Sure, AWS is now embracing hybrid computing, but with a nod to the future, not the past. Here's how they're using it as an on-ramp for public cloud.
- Video: The top 5 reasons you should care about privacy
- Tue, 06 Dec 2016 14:17:05 -0500 -
Here are five things that might convince you to care about your personal data, even if you think you don't.
- HPE boosts IDOL data analytics engine with natural language processing tools
- Tue, 06 Dec 2016 14:08:27 -0500 -
HPE recently announced that a new version of its analytics engine HPE IDOL will improve the interactions between humans and computers, adding context to data.
- When hiring a project manager, how important is direct industry or product experience?
- Tue, 06 Dec 2016 12:24:22 -0500 -
Experience is something employers ask for in job postings, yet don't always get with candidates. We explore how important industry or product experience really is when it comes to project management.
- Windows 10: Ten missing and highly anticipated features due in 2017
- Tue, 06 Dec 2016 11:23:00 -0500 -
A look at the most significant changes due to hit Microsoft's evolving OS in the coming year.
- IBM announces new Bluemix tools to accelerate cloud app development
- Tue, 06 Dec 2016 10:34:36 -0500 -
IBM recently made its Bluemix Continuous Delivery product available on Bluemix Dedicated private cloud and upgraded some of its integrated services.
- Why the tech talent war is killing innovation in your business
- Tue, 06 Dec 2016 09:54:24 -0500 -
Some 83% of hiring managers said a lack of tech talent is hurting business, with lost revenue, slow product development, and employee burnout. Here's how to win the tech talent war.
- 9 tools to navigate an 'uncertain future,' from new book, Whiplash
- Tue, 06 Dec 2016 09:30:00 -0500 -
MIT Media Lab's Joi Ito and Wired contributor Jeff Howe offer nine cognitive 'principles' to help us adapt to our fast-paced world.
- Las fechas límite para enviar regalos esta Navidad 2016
- Mon, 05 Dec 2016 20:40:03 -0500 -
Para asegurarte de que tus obsequios lleguen a su destino a tiempo, toma nota de estas importantes fechas.
- Enterprise backup software providers planning a busy 2017
- Mon, 05 Dec 2016 16:22:45 -0500 -
Major data backup companies EMC, IBM, Commvault, Veeam, and Veritas are keeping busy this holiday season and are being clear about their plans for next year.
- Getting an Android phone this holiday season? Here's how to migrate from iOS to the Google world.
- Mon, 05 Dec 2016 15:53:43 -0500 -
The iPhone 7 was enough of a letdown to push plenty of people into Google's arms. If you're hoping for a new device this holiday season here's how to make your transition easy.
- 10 ways to keep the lights on in IT during the holidays
- Mon, 05 Dec 2016 14:54:33 -0500 -
The holidays can bring many challenges in IT due to staffing shortages. Here are some tips to help keep the department running amidst year-end festivities.
- Amazon Go grocery store replaces cashiers with automation and AI
- Mon, 05 Dec 2016 14:01:54 -0500 -
Amazon recently announced Go, a brick-and-mortar concept store that uses technologies like artificial intelligence to eliminate the need for cashiers.