- Swedish prosecutor files request for Assange's arrest over rape allegation
- Mon, 20 May 2019 02:52:33 -0400 - The Swedish prosecutor heading an investigation into a rape allegation against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on Monday filed a request for his arrest, the Prosecution Authority said.
- Bank staff flagged Trump, Kushner transactions for watchdog: NYTimes
- Mon, 20 May 2019 02:43:25 -0400 - Anti-money laundering specialists at Deutsche Bank AG recommended in 2016 and 2017 that multiple transactions involving entities controlled by President Donald Trump and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, be reported to a federal financial-crimes watchdog, the New York Times reported on Sunday.
- Australia's conservative coalition secures parliamentary majority
- Mon, 20 May 2019 02:12:31 -0400 - Australia's conservative coalition secured an outright parliamentary majority on Monday following a shock election victory, allowing Prime Minister Scott Morrison to progress his legislative agenda without the support of independents.
- Australia's pollsters to review incorrect election forecasts
- Mon, 20 May 2019 02:11:43 -0400 - Australia's industry body for market research launched a review on Monday into how opinion pollsters had wrongly predicted an opposition victory in Saturday's general election.
- Suspect arrested in Detroit murder that sparked serial killer fears
- Mon, 20 May 2019 02:04:22 -0400 - A 50-year-old man was arrested on Saturday in the murder of a Detroit woman whose body was found in a trash dumpster, a crime that touched off what police called a "horrible rumor" that a serial killer was lurking in the Motor City.
- Deutsche Bank denies report it prevented Trump transactions being flagged
- Mon, 20 May 2019 01:49:05 -0400 - Deutsche Bank denied a report that said some of its executives rejected the advice of the bank's own anti-money laundering specialists and prevented some transactions involving entities controlled by President Donald Trump and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, being filed with the government.
- Winning during economic slowdown, Australia's Morrison must halt rot
- Mon, 20 May 2019 01:41:33 -0400 - Surprisingly retained by Australians in a national election over the weekend, Prime Minister Scott Morrison's center-right government now needs to find a fast way out of a worrying slowdown in an economy that has been recession-free since 1991.
- Australian banks rally as conservative election win eases fears of new curbs
- Mon, 20 May 2019 01:41:33 -0400 - Australian bank shares posted their biggest rally in a decade on Monday as a surprise conservative election win eased regulation fears, though a housing downturn and strict rules baked in since a misconduct inquiry could temper longer-term bullishness.
- Huawei CFO house arrest contrasts with Canadians detained in China
- Mon, 20 May 2019 01:17:26 -0400 - Huawei Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou described her house arrest in Vancouver as "restricted to a limited space" even as she spent her past six months in a six-bedroom, multi-million dollar Canadian home.
- Afghan working women still face perils at home and office
- Mon, 20 May 2019 00:40:12 -0400 - Minutes before Mena Mangal, a prominent Afghan journalist and parliamentary adviser, was shot dead by two men in Kabul, she had slammed the door of her parent's home after reminding them to pay the neighborhood shopkeeper 15 Afghanis (20 cents).
- U.S. warship sails in disputed South China Sea amid trade tensions
- Mon, 20 May 2019 00:37:51 -0400 - The U.S. military said one of its warships sailed near the disputed Scarborough Shoal claimed by China in the South China Sea on Sunday, a move likely to anger Beijing at a time of tense ties between the world's two biggest economies.
- Trade uncertainty darkens U.S. small caps outlook
- Mon, 20 May 2019 00:32:21 -0400 - Shares of smaller publicly listed U.S. companies have fallen more on recent U.S.-China trade tensions than larger corporations and could face an even rougher road as the year wears on unless the prospects for economic growth improve.
- Trump says tariffs making companies leave China, a deal can't be '50-50'
- Mon, 20 May 2019 00:30:06 -0400 - U.S. President Donald Trump said his tariffs on Chinese goods are causing companies to move production out of China to Vietnam and other countries in Asia, and added that any agreement with China cannot be a "50-50" deal.
- Asian shares steady after slump, oil jumps on Saudi comments
- Sun, 19 May 2019 23:57:28 -0400 - Asian shares steadied on Monday as investors caught their breath following another week of escalating U.S.-China trade tensions, with sentiment turning brighter after the United States said it would lift tariffs in North America.
- Exclusive: Google suspends some business with Huawei after Trump blacklist - source
- Sun, 19 May 2019 23:37:55 -0400 - Alphabet Inc's Google has suspended business with Huawei that requires the transfer of hardware, software and technical services except those publicly available via open source licensing, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters on Sunday, in a blow to the Chinese technology company that the U.S. government has sought to blacklist around the world.
- U.S. Ambassador to China visiting Tibet this week
- Sun, 19 May 2019 21:49:01 -0400 - U.S. Ambassador to China Terry Branstad was scheduled to visit Tibet this week, a U.S. embassy spokesperson said, the first visit to the region by a U.S. ambassador since 2015, amid escalating trade tensions between Washington and Beijing.
- U.S. Ambassador to China visiting Tibet this week
- Sun, 19 May 2019 20:28:06 -0400 - U.S. Ambassador to China Terry Branstad was scheduled to visit Tibet this week, a U.S. embassy spokesperson said, the first visit to the region by a U.S. ambassador since 2015.
- Democratic Presidential hopeful Buttigieg draws crowd for Fox town hall
- Sun, 19 May 2019 20:10:47 -0400 - Democratic presidential hopeful Pete Buttigieg on Sunday called for higher taxes on the wealthy, backed abortion rights and promised to run what he called an inclusive campaign in a New Hampshire town hall broadcast on Fox News.
- May's new Brexit offer retains Northern Irish backstop, nothing new on customs: paper
- Sun, 19 May 2019 20:08:36 -0400 - British Prime Minister Theresa May's new Brexit offer to UK lawmakers retains the Northern Irish backstop and does not add anything new on customs arrangements, The Telegraph newspaper reported late on Sunday.
- Trump, Saudi Arabia warn Iran against Middle East conflict
- Sun, 19 May 2019 19:53:51 -0400 - U.S. President Donald Trump issued a new threat to Tehran on Sunday, tweeting that a conflict would be the "official end" of Iran, as Saudi Arabia warned it stood ready to respond with "all strength" and said it was up to Iran to avoid war.