- Spain finds Catalan leaders guilty of sedition in landmark ruling over independence bid
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 04:15:18 -0400 - Spain's Supreme Court on Monday sentenced nine Catalan separatist leaders to between nine and 13 years in prison for sedition over their role in the region's failed bid for independence in 2017.
- Spain reacts to sentencing of Catalan separatist leaders
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 04:14:30 -0400 - Spain's Supreme Court on Monday sentenced nine Catalan separatist leaders to between nine and 13 years in prison for sedition over their role in the region's failed bid for independence in 2017.
- Catalonia's Puigdemont calls prison sentences for separatist leaders an 'atrocity'
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 04:02:33 -0400 - The former head of Catalonia's regional government Carles Puigdemont said on Monday that the prison sentences for the separatist leaders on trial for a failed 2017 independence bid were an "atrocity."
- Hunter Biden disputes Trump attacks of his work, wades into impeachment fight
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 03:57:06 -0400 - Hunter Biden, the son of former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, for the first time on Sunday defended his work in Ukraine and China, after sustained criticism from Republican President Donald Trump that has in turn embroiled the White House in an impeachment inquiry.
- As options narrow on Syria, Trump prepares to drop sanctions hammer on Turkey
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 03:56:28 -0400 - President Donald Trump's administration is set to impose economic sanctions on Ankara, potentially as early as this week, for its incursion into northern Syria, one of the few levers the United States still has over NATO-ally Turkey.
- Turkish lira slips but traders doubt Trump's sanctions threat
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 03:56:28 -0400 - Turkey's lira slipped 0.6% on Monday after U.S. President Donald Trump warned of "powerful" sanctions over the country's offensive into Syria, a somewhat muted response that analysts said reflected doubt that the White House would act.
- U.S. to pull last troops from north Syria; Syrian army to redeploy on border
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 03:53:12 -0400 - The United States said on Sunday it will withdraw its remaining 1,000 troops from northern Syria in the face of an expanding Turkish offensive while Syria's army struck a deal with Kurdish forces to redeploy along its border with Turkey, both major victories for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- Saudi visit showcases Putin's growing Middle East influence
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 03:51:09 -0400 - Russian President Vladimir Putin visits Saudi Arabia on Monday for the first time in over a decade, seeking to capitalize on growing influence borne of military advances in Syria, strong ties with regional rivals and cooperation on energy policy.
- Spanish Supreme Court finds nine Catalan leaders guilty of sedition over 2017 independence bid
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 03:50:01 -0400 - Spain's Supreme Court on Monday sentenced nine Catalan separatist leaders to between 9 and 13 years in prison for sedition over their role in the region's 2017 failed bid for independence.
- Trump's hailing of $50 billion in Chinese farm purchases seen as 'meaningless'
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 03:47:26 -0400 - China is still a long way from forking out $50 billion for farm goods from the United States, agriculture industry analysts said on Monday, cautioning that getting there is contingent on removing substantial technical and political hurdles.
- Rescue workers battle mudslips, waist-high waters in typhoon-hit Japan
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 03:41:34 -0400 - Rescue workers waded through muddy, waist-high waters on Monday searching for missing people after one of the worst typhoons to hit Japan in recent history, as officials warned of more rain later in the day.
- UK PM Johnson to set out post-Brexit law and order drive in Queen's Speech
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 02:39:19 -0400 - Queen Elizabeth will on Monday announce several new pieces of legislation to reform Britain's justice system, in a ceremonial speech setting out Prime Minister Boris Johnson's post-Brexit plans.
- Syrian army deploys to town in country's northeast after Kurdish deal
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 02:32:05 -0400 - Syrian army troops entered the town of Tel Tamer in northeastern Syria, state media reported on Monday, after Damascus reached an agreement with the Kurdish-led forces controlling the region to deploy into the area to counter an attack by Turkey.
- EU must consider Turkish arms embargo, call for end to Syria offensive: France
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 02:29:23 -0400 - European Union foreign ministers must again condemn Turkey's offensive in Syria, call for an arms embargo on Ankara and request that the United States hold a meeting of the coalition against Islamic State, France's foreign minister said on Monday.
- Kurdish official: deal with Damascus covers deployment, political talks later
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 02:23:16 -0400 - A top Syrian Kurdish official said a "preliminary military" deal with Damascus is limited to the army's deployment along the border and the two sides will discuss political issues later.
- Canada's Trudeau vows to forge ahead with campaign after security threat
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 02:11:09 -0400 - Canada's Liberal Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Sunday that he will not change the way he is campaigning ahead of the Oct. 21 federal election after a security threat forced him to wear a bulletproof vest at a campaign rally on Saturday.
- White House reporters condemn fake video showing Trump killing press
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 01:50:57 -0400 - The White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA) condemned on Sunday a video that depicted a fake image of U.S. President Donald Trump slaughtering members of the news media, shown at a gathering of his supporters.
- WeWork opens new sites at breakneck speed despite cash-burn concerns
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 01:07:52 -0400 - WeWork has opened almost as many new locations in the last 3-1/2 months as it did in the whole first half of this year, likely accelerating the speed with which the office-sharing company is burning through cash as increasingly hard-nosed investors scrutinize its prospects for going public.
- Asian shares get trade lift, let down by China data
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 00:54:48 -0400 - Asian share markets firmed on Monday as signs of progress in the Sino-U.S. trade standoff whetted risk appetites, though investors remained wary of the damage already done to the global economy.
- Factbox: By the numbers: Japan's Typhoon Hagibis compared to killer 1958 storm
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 00:49:46 -0400 - Typhoon Hagibis, which means "speed" in the Philippine language Tagalog and made landfall on Japan's main island of Honshu on Saturday evening, could be the worst storm the country has experienced since 1958, the government said.