- Strong opening for ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ could mean the romantic comedy is making a comeback
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 15:31 GMT - By winning the box office this past weekend, "Crazy Rich Asians" proved to Hollywood that the world is ready and hungry for films led by Asian casts. But the film's success could also mean a comeback for the big-screen romantic comedy.
- Elon Musk needs to recognize his limitations and bring in a strong No. 2 to help run Tesla: Analysts
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 15:07 GMT - Shares of Tesla broke a four-session, 14 percent losing streak on Monday, and the stock was logging a strong advance in early Tuesday trading.
- US imposes fresh sanctions for Russian cyber-related activity
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 15:04 GMT - The United States imposed sanctions on two Russians, one Russian company and one Slovakian firm for what it said were their actions to help another Russian company avoid sanctions targeting Russia's malicious cyber-related activities.
- This university is putting Amazon Echo speakers in every dorm room
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 14:50 GMT - The smart speakers could save college students time.
- FDA extends certain EpiPen expiration dates to combat shortage
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 14:47 GMT - Facing a national shortage of EpiPens, the Food and Drug Administration is extending the expiration dates of certain lots of the life-saving allergy drug by four months.
- Hedge funds are struggling this year due to Facebook's plunge, bets against stocks: Goldman
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 14:40 GMT - Goldman Sachs says hedge funds are signficantly underperforming the stock market this year.
- Workers want more employer help with their retirement planning
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 14:25 GMT - Companies carry misconceptions about what employees want when it comes to preparing for their retirement.
- Trump administration reveals greenhouse gas rule for power plants to replace Obama-era plan
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 14:24 GMT - The Trump administration on Tuesday revealed its long-awaited plan to scale back an Obama-era rule designed to cut planet-warming emissions from the nation's power plants.
- Why interest rates could go up as these enormous bond buyers get out of the pool
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 14:19 GMT - As August turns into September, many pension funds may be ready to slow down bond buying, a phenomena that could send interest rates higher.
- United Airlines to add fees for economy seats near front of the plane
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 14:17 GMT - United Airlines plans to start charging passengers to reserve select seats near the front of the plane, a practice already in place at rivals American and Delta, USA Today reports.
- Genetically modified mosquitoes are being used to combat health threats such as the Zika virus
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 14:10 GMT - Genetically modifying mosquitoes to prevent disease may sound like science fiction, but the technology has advanced in recent years to the point where this is possible and they are being used to combat health threats, an epidemiology professor writes in The Conversation.
- China central bank official rebuts Trump's claim it is manipulating the yuan
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 14:01 GMT - A senior official of the People's Bank of China told a briefing on Tuesday that the yuan's exchange rate is set by the market, rebutting President Trump's claim a day earlier.
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren's new reform bill would ban members of Congress from owning individual stocks
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 14:00 GMT - The bill, which comes amid speculation that Warren could run for president in 2020, would also create "conflict-free investment opportunities for federal officials with new investment accounts."
- The best days of the dollar’s rally are behind it, currency expert says
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 14:00 GMT - The greenback has been red hot, but the rally’s days are likely numbered, says Baruch of Blue Line Futures.
- What went wrong when this man took $30,000 from his 401(k) —and how to avoid it
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 13:57 GMT - There are instances in which an early withdrawal penalty might not apply to you, or times when the benefits outweigh the consequences.
- The world’s largest sovereign wealth fund just missed its own target
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 13:47 GMT - Small gains made in stock holdings were undermined by the bond market.
- Sheldon and Miriam Adelson give $25 million to help Republicans keep their Senate majority
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 13:23 GMT - Their combined contribution made up nearly all of the $26 million haul that the PAC raised in July, according to new filings with the Federal Election Commission.
- Plenty of jobs pay more than $75,000 and let you work from home
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 13:09 GMT - Some industries, such as medicine and law, now allow for off-site workers.
- TJX beats estimates as big discounts attract young shoppers
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 13:08 GMT - Deep discounts helped drive more customers to TJX's T.J. Maxx and Marshalls stores.
- Getaround car-share service raises $300 million in new funding round
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 13:06 GMT - Getaround, the carshare company that lets drivers rent their vehicles to strangers, is gearing up for more growth fueled by a new round of funding. The company has raised $300 million in Series D funding lead by the SoftBank Vision Fund.
- Slack's valuation tops $7.1 billion as venture investors keep piling into the messaging app
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 13:00 GMT - With 3 million paying users, Slack is now being valued by private investors at more than $7.1 billion.
- This is the single fastest way to make your boss hate you
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 13:00 GMT - Falling out of your boss's good graces can be more disastrous than you think.
- Saudi Arabia is stumbling in its effort to build a global financial center
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 13:00 GMT - Saudi Arabia is stumbling in its efforts to build a cosmopolitan financial center in the Middle East. The oil kingdom could learn a lot from the success of its neighbor Dubai, which is now a global banking hub.
- The feds just gave Booz Allen a $1 billion contract to fortify cyber defense for several federal agencies
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 13:00 GMT - The six-year contract will help fortify cyber defenses at several large government agencies including DHS and the Postal Service.
- Trump's auto tariff timeline is being postponed, commerce secretary tells WSJ
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 12:52 GMT - The White House is pushing back its timeline on whether or not to add tariffs to auto imports, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.
- 49 percent of millennials spend more on restaurant food than they save for the future
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 12:45 GMT - Living for today is just so tasty.
- Goldman: Here are the 10 stocks most loved by hedge funds — including Microsoft
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 12:34 GMT - Goldman's "Hedge Fund VIP" list has outperformed the S&P 500 by an average of 2.2 percentage points a year since 2001.
- Tycoon killed in seaplane crash leaves $49 million to Oxfam
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 12:32 GMT - A millionaire businessman who died in a seaplane crash on New Year's Eve has left almost all his £41 million ($52.6 million) fortune to crisis-hit Oxfam.
- This could be the longest bull market ever. Here’s what could take it down, says Jim Paulsen
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 12:30 GMT - The S&P 500 is a day away from being in its longest bull market ever, but it may be peaking, says Leuthold Group's Jim Paulsen.
- Online brokerage stocks sink on JP Morgan's plan to offer free trading
- Tue, 21 Aug 2018 12:26 GMT - Online brokerage firms including Charles Schwab, TD Ameritrade and E-Trade drop Tuesday on Wall Street after CNBC reported J.P. Morgan Chase will offer a free trading service.