- What’s love got to do with your business?
- Mon, 04 Jun 2018 12:04:06 -0400 - In her second-most-popular song, Tina Turner sang, “What’s love got to do with it?” Out here in the Main Street Marketplace, the answer is a lot. Indeed, love is the reason people start businesses. We love to make and sell things: shoes, tires, hamburgers, cars, soap, computers, bread, air conditioners – you get
- How to Wring the Most Business Value From a Personal Loan
- Mon, 04 Jun 2018 12:36:30 -0400 - When it comes to starting your business not all credit is created equal A recent study found that companies that borrow under the business name have higher revenues and longer survival rates than those that take out debt in the name of the business owner But using personal credit
- I know what I was feeling, but what was I thinking?
- Mon, 21 May 2018 12:29:57 -0400 - “I know what I was feeling, but what was I thinking?” This title lyric of a country song by Dierks Bentley is about a boy letting a pretty girl get him into a whole lot of trouble on their first date. Of course, there’s often no accounting for the unintended consequences of affairs of the heart. But when those
- Money (and Other) Lessons I Learned From the Restaurant Business
- Wed, 16 May 2018 08:35:05 -0400 - Shutterstock photo You can take classes, gain experience working with others, learn from mentors, and prepare marketing and business plans. However, like a marriage or parenting, no amount of advice or training will ready you for the emotions, exhaustion or stress of entrepreneurship . In the two years
- Should Mamas let their babies grow up to be entrepreneurs?
- Tue, 15 May 2018 09:52:11 -0400 - “Mamas don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys.” Country music fans recognize this title and opening passage from the Ed and Patsy Bruce song made famous by Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson. If there ever was a honky-tonk anthem, this is it. Every good anthem has a hook lyric and in this song, it goes like
- Four business buying factors to keep in mind
- Mon, 07 May 2018 12:05:17 -0400 - Continuing my series on buying a business, here are summaries of four critical factors to consider when acquiring a small business. Old sellers are the best sellers One of the best opportunities to acquire an existing business is when you can buy one from an owner who wants to retire from a business that’s
- 3 Tips For Long-Term Business Planning
- Mon, 07 May 2018 09:26:25 -0400 - One of my students in my group coaching program recently asked about how to do long-term business planning. In her experience, every time she tries to make a detailed plan for her business she is never able to follow through with it. While I’m not a huge fan of very detailed long-term business planning, I am a fan
- 6 Ways Cloud Computing Technology Is Changing
- Wed, 02 May 2018 09:47:50 -0400 - Sometimes we forget the luxuries of cloud computing technology didn’t always exist. It wasn’t long ago that we had to carry USB drives everywhere we went. Or, dare we recall the famed floppy disk days. Over the past decade, we’ve gone from carrying hardware with us to storing, accessing, and editing everything
- Buying a business? Consider these principles first
- Mon, 30 Apr 2018 12:50:54 -0400 - Recently I wrote an article on how to “Buy Your American Dream” by buying a business from someone else. Let’s continue that theme with a few more principles to employ when considering this ownership option. Thanks to my friend, Russell Brown, and his book, “Laws of the Business Buying and Selling Jungle” for the
- 4 Things Every Business Website Should Do
- Fri, 27 Apr 2018 09:24:01 -0400 - As a business, your business website is essentially your company’s own little slice of virtual real estate. What you do with that real estate is totally up to you. You can either take advantage – reinforcing your brand image and driving sales – or you can waste it. While no honest business owner would
- Why Should Modern Business Owners Accept Bitcoin?
- Mon, 23 Apr 2018 14:16:43 -0400 - Thanks in part to the excitement generated from its skyrocketing price, Bitcoin (along with similar types of digital currency) is gradually entering the mainstream. Consumers are scrambling to get in on the action. They are driving up the price of GPUs with their rush to establish new mining rigs. National
- Don't be a victim of key employee poaching
- Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:40:19 -0400 - There’s a qualified employee crisis in America today. Companies of all sizes are reporting they can’t find qualified workers to fill the good-paying jobs they have. Some research indicates the number of unfilled assignments may be as many as six million, with a new report showing one-third of that number is in the
- 3 Ways Business Leaders Can Help With Boosting Local Economies
- Wed, 18 Apr 2018 09:52:46 -0400 - Cities, though public entities “owned” by their governments and residents, are dependent upon private businesses. The success of the private sector — and the improvements fueled by businesses — makes many other aspects of community life appealing. This includes everything from enhancing 5G connectivity to
- Essential Components for Successful Business Innovation
- Mon, 16 Apr 2018 15:02:41 -0400 - The focal point of today’s market disruption is the collision of traditional corporate giants with the new titans of the entrepreneurial world with their unlimited war chest of funds, plus the vision, talent and intention to change ANY world they choose to enter. This paradigm shift reminds me of our efforts to take
- When the UGC says "Nu-uh," you've gotta problem
- Mon, 16 Apr 2018 12:46:37 -0400 - Once upon a time, but not that long ago, a brand message could be successful even if it was close to a work of fiction. Created by Madison Avenue wordsmiths, copy for an ad or brochure was crafted to manipulate and motivate using puffery, a legal term referring to acceptable marketing exaggeration. And most of the