|WSJ Live News
- Trump Plans New Curbs on Chinese Investment, Tech Exports to China
- Mon, 25 Jun 2018 07:45:25 EDT - President Trump, already embroiled in a trade battle with China, plans to ratchet commercial tensions higher by barring many Chinese firms from investing in U.S. technology and by blocking more technology exports to Beijing.
- GE Nears Deal to Sell Industrial-Engines Unit
- Mon, 25 Jun 2018 05:51:20 EDT - General Electric is nearing a deal to sell a unit that makes large industrial engines to private-equity firm Advent International for $3 billion or more, people familiar with the matter said.
- Short of Workers, Restaurants Turn to Robots
- Mon, 25 Jun 2018 06:37:58 EDT - Amid the lowest unemployment in years, fast-food restaurants are turning to machines—not to get rid of workers, but because they can’t find enough. Flippy the burger chef doesn’t complain about the drudgery of grill work and never leaves the kitchen.
- Comedies' Misfortunes Are No Laughing Matter in Hollywood
- Mon, 25 Jun 2018 07:17:52 EDT - Traditional comedies are struggling for oxygen at the box office, caught between superheroes and a vast buffet of stand-up specials, sitcoms and amateur pranks on digital services like Netflix and YouTube.
- Student-Debt Forgiveness May Be Lighting a Tax-Bomb Fuse
- Sun, 24 Jun 2018 11:06:25 EDT - Under U.S. rules, forgiven debt is considered a borrower’s income for that given year, and taxed as such. Those delayed tax bills are piling up.
- ECB Official Signals No Debate on Rate Rises Before October 2019
- Mon, 25 Jun 2018 06:28:25 EDT - European Central Bank officials could start to discuss raising short-term interest rates from autumn next year, a top ECB policy maker said, amplifying the caution expressed by the bank’s President Mario Draghi in recent days.
- Global Economy Week Ahead: U.S. GDP, Eurozone Inflation
- Sun, 24 Jun 2018 15:00:03 EDT - In the week ahead, the U.S. Commerce Department is set to release data on durable goods, gross domestic product and personal income.
- Uber Goes to Court to Fight for Its Future in London
- Mon, 25 Jun 2018 04:53:32 EDT - Uber has spent much of the past year repenting for a string of scandals. Now the company must prove it has changed—or risk being locked out of one of its largest markets.
- Buzz Aldrin Fights Family for Control of His Space Legacy
- Mon, 25 Jun 2018 07:18:32 EDT - The former astronaut’s children say their father is in mental decline and are asking a Florida court to appoint them his guardians. He says they are after his business, and is suing for “elder exploitation.”
- Why Big-Ticket Items May Soon Cost You More Online
- Sun, 24 Jun 2018 14:33:18 EDT - The U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling enables states to collect sales tax from all online purchases, eliminating the advantage of buying some big-ticket items from websites like Amazon.com.
- GE Factories in Wisconsin, South Carolina Caught in U.S. Trade Fight
- Sun, 24 Jun 2018 19:29:27 EDT - GE’s MRI business offers a window into the complex interconnections of global trade, where components made in one country get assembled in another and may be sold back into the first.
- State Sales-Tax Officials Rev Their Engines
- Fri, 22 Jun 2018 11:27:47 EDT - Some state tax officials have begun preparing to use the new sales-tax collection power the Supreme Court handed them on Thursday.
- AT&T Expressed Interest in CBS Before Time Warner
- Sun, 24 Jun 2018 11:27:35 EDT - Before AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson set his sights on Time Warner, he expressed interest in acquiring CBS and met with Shari Redstone.
- 'Jurassic World' Sequel Falls Short of Previous Installment
- Sun, 24 Jun 2018 20:38:42 EDT - “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” opened to an estimated $150 million in the U.S. and Canada. That is a healthy debut by most measures, but 28% below the $208.8 million start for the first “Jurassic World.”