|WSJ Live News
- Google to Accelerate Closure of Google+ Social Network
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 22:44:21 EST - Google said it would close the consumer version of its Google+ social network after discovering a software bug that exposed the private profile information of 52 million users to outside app developers, the second time this year the company has acknowledged exposing private user data.
- Apple Hit With Sales Ban on Older iPhones in China
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 19:12:48 EST - A Chinese court ordered Apple to stop selling older iPhone models in the country after finding it infringed on two Qualcomm patents, the chip supplier said.
- Huawei Finance Chief Won't Be a Flight Risk, Her Lawyer Says
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 22:47:34 EST - A bail hearing for Huawei Technologies Co. finance chief Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver ended Monday without a decision as the executive’s lawyer argued she won’t be a flight risk while awaiting a separate decision on her extradition to the U.S.
- Amazon Cracks Down on Scams, Fires Employees Over Data Leak
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 13:05:21 EST - Amazon has dismissed several workers in the U.S. and India for allegedly inappropriately accessing internal data that was being misused by disreputable merchants.
- Under Armour Ousts Two Executives After Review of Expenses
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 15:46:42 EST - Under Armour Inc. ousted two sports-marketing executives, according to people familiar with the matter, after the apparel brand conducted an internal review of their department’s spending.
- Unfilled Jobs Grow in Low-Skilled Fields
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 14:28:59 EST - The number of available jobs in the U.S. rose in October from a year earlier, with openings exceeding the number of unemployed Americans by one million. Low-skilled workers shunned retail and restaurants for higher-paying positions in other industries.
- Businesses Less Optimistic About Coming Year Than 12 Months Ago
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 14:23:04 EST - Businesses in the U.S. are less optimistic about the outlook for the coming year than they were 12 months ago, though many still expect sales, hiring and investment to rise in 2019, according to an ISM survey.
- U.S. Maintains Hard Line as Details Emerge in Trade Truce With China
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 08:56:12 EST - The Trump administration’s point man on U.S.-China trade negotiations said the U.S. would hold fast to its 90-day deadline for the conclusion of a lasting agreement, adding that the U.S. would impose punishing tariffs on Chinese imports if none is reached.
- Global Recession Alarms Aren't Ringing, Despite Market Mayhem
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 14:24:01 EST - Investors are growing anxious about the prospect of recession in developed countries, but many economic trends don’t fit with patterns that presaged previous downturns.
- Trump to Nominate Fannie, Freddie Critic to Oversee Mortgage Giants
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 16:22:31 EST - The White House is preparing to pick economist Mark Calabria, a vice presidential aide and critic of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, to the post responsible for overseeing the housing-finance companies.
- CBS Directors Fear Legal Risks from Leaks in Moonves Probe
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 21:25:35 EST - Some CBS directors are concerned that recent leaks from the investigation into alleged sexual misconduct by former CEO Leslie Moonves could result in legal exposure for the company or people found to have failed to prevent the disclosures.
- Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Smashes Streaming Records
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 19:26:48 EST - Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” is the most-streamed song from the pre-streaming era and the most-streamed classic rock song of all time, according to Vivendi SA’s Universal Music Group.
- Google CEO Faces Hot Seat in Washington
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 08:00:43 EST - Google CEO Sundar Pichai is expected to face questions at a Congressional hearing on a range of topics, including the company’s handling of user data and its development of a search engine that would comply with China’s strict internet censors.
- Housing Slowdown Unnerves the Fix-and-Flip Crowd
- Sun, 09 Dec 2018 11:00:02 EST - The pace of real-estate speculation is slowing, a sign of the darkening outlook in the U.S. housing market.
- U.S. Hiring Slows as Wages Grow, Unemployment Holds at Multidecade Low
- Fri, 07 Dec 2018 17:14:40 EST - Employers slowed their pace of hiring in November, but wage growth matched the highest rate in nearly a decade and unemployment held at the lowest rate since December 1969.
- IMF's Departing Chief Economist Issues a Rare Warning on U.S. Growth
- Sun, 09 Dec 2018 14:00:12 EST - Maurice Obstfeld, the retiring chief economist of the International Monetary Fund, is on his way out the door with a warning that global growth is slowing and the U.S. will likely feel the drag as well.
- Wanted: Employees Who Can Shake Hands, Make Small Talk
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 09:07:01 EST - As employers struggle to find qualified workers and automation makes certain jobs obsolete, companies are finding they have to train employees to do things that robots can’t—like figure out who’s having a bad day.
- Nissan, Ghosn Charged With Underreporting His Compensation
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 22:47:20 EST - Nissan Motor’s Carlos Ghosn was formally charged with understating his compensation in Nissan’s financial reports, and prosecutors took steps to ensure he would spend Christmas in jail.
- Prosecutors to Decide Soon Whether to Charge Chinese Billionaire Over Rape Allegations
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 11:21:25 EST - Prosecutors are close to deciding whether to charge Chinese billionaire Liu Qiangdong with the sexual assault of a college student. The woman has described a four-hour ordeal, while Mr. Liu has denied wrongdoing.
- Anxious Businesses Make Plans for 'No-Deal' Brexit
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 17:35:22 EST - As Prime Minister Theresa May works to save her deal to exit from the European Union, businesses are bracing for the worst—a “no-deal” Brexit—and planning for it.
- Verizon to Shed More Than 10,000 Workers in Voluntary Separations
- Mon, 10 Dec 2018 12:24:14 EST - Verizon will shed about 10,400 workers who have accepted a severance package as it works to cut $10 billion in costs and upgrade to a faster 5G network.