|WSJ Live News
- Investor Loeb to Seek Changes to Dow-DuPont Post-Merger Plan
- Wed, 24 May 2017 17:10:12 EDT - Activist investor Dan Loeb plans to publicly push for changes to the complicated combination and breakup of Dow Chemical and DuPont, according to a presentation reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.
- Ford CEO Shift Hands Larger Roles to Two Key Lieutenants
- Wed, 24 May 2017 22:42:00 EDT - New CEO Jim Hackett is handing greater sway to lieutenants Joe Hinrichs and Jim Farley.
- Gillette Faces New Attack From an Old Razor Rival
- Wed, 24 May 2017 16:04:41 EDT - Edgewell Personal Care Co., maker of Schick, the No. 2 U.S. razor brand, is mounting a direct challenge to the Procter & Gamble unit with an online subscription service that sells blades that fit on a Gillette handle but cost less.
- BlackRock, Vanguard Mull Pressuring Exxon to Disclose Climate Risks
- Thu, 25 May 2017 05:30:06 EDT - Two of the world’s largest asset managers are strongly considering a public rebuke to Exxon Mobil over climate change at the company’s annual meeting next week, according to people familiar with the matter.
- J.Crew's Mickey Drexler Confesses: I Underestimated How Tech Would Upend Retail
- Thu, 25 May 2017 06:29:25 EDT - The retail legend didn’t understand how speed and price would drive internet shoppers. After 10 quarters of falling sales, the brand wants to create a more accessible image and add digital marketing.
- Fed Minutes Signal Officials Ready to Raise Rates Again Soon
- Thu, 25 May 2017 02:53:24 EDT - Federal Reserve officials expected at their meeting this month that it would “soon be appropriate” to raise rates, according to minutes of the gathering, a signal the central bank could lift its benchmark rate in June.
- Mnuchin Wants Debt-Limit Increase With No Conditions
- Wed, 24 May 2017 18:15:07 EDT - Trump administration officials, testifying on Capitol Hill Wednesday on their 10-year budget plans, pointed to a more pressing fiscal problem: They could run out of room to pay the government’s bills within the next few months.
- Trump's Nationalism Veers Right While May's Shifts to Center
- Wed, 24 May 2017 17:51:59 EDT - The conservative parties in the U.S. and U.K., buoyed by a nationalist push against immigration and trade, face a once-in-a-generation choice: shift toward small-government conservatism, or reach across traditional divides by appealing to workers? Trump and May appear to have chosen differently.
- World Trade Flows Suggest Strong Economic Growth This Year
- Wed, 24 May 2017 13:58:44 EDT - World trade flows grew in the first quarter, continuing a recovery that began in the second half of last year in an indication that the global economy may be set to enjoy a year of stronger growth.
- China's Lenovo Reboots After Losing PC Crown to HP
- Thu, 25 May 2017 07:37:11 EDT - China’s Lenovo Group is shaking up its operations as it seeks to reclaim the title of global leader in personal computers and shore up its smartphone business.
- Health-Tech Startups Pivot as Obamacare Uncertainty Mounts
- Thu, 25 May 2017 07:23:57 EDT - Many health-technology startups are revamping their business strategies and others are finding it tougher to attract fresh capital amid the prospect of repeal of the Affordable Care Act.
- How American Shale Drillers Flipped OPEC's Script
- Wed, 24 May 2017 23:04:03 EDT - When OPEC agreed to curtail production to bolster crude prices, it was betting U.S. shale drillers would be too weak to fill the void. But with Wall Street behind them, American producers have put the cartel on its heels.
- Bipartisan Pushback Greets Trump's Proposed Budget
- Wed, 24 May 2017 15:31:47 EDT - President Donald Trump’s proposed $4.1 trillion spending blueprint amounts to a sweeping overhaul of the social safety net while projecting a big boost to economic growth that could be difficult to achieve.
- Donald Trump's Balanced Budget Goal Rests on Questionable Assumptions
- Wed, 24 May 2017 15:35:11 EDT - President Donald Trump’s budget—which projects a balanced budget within 10 years—relies on accounting that is hard to add up.
- Trump's 3% Growth Target Looks Out of Reach
- Tue, 23 May 2017 16:48:53 EDT - The president’s first budget sets a worthy objective of sustained 3% economic growth, but offers no rigorous plan to back it up, writes Greg Ip.
- Whatever You Do, Don't Let Your Snapstreak End Tonight
- Wed, 24 May 2017 22:45:18 EDT - Snapchat hooked the masses on sending friends photos that disappear. Now teens and millennials do whatever it takes to keep daily messaging streaks alive. ‘Some people overreact a little’
- GE Chief Adds Some Caution to 2018 Profit Goal
- Wed, 24 May 2017 14:01:34 EDT - Jeff Immelt, General Electric Co.’s chief, said the conglomerate would likely need additional cost cuts to reach a closely watched 2018 profit target, given current struggles in global oil and gas markets.
- Former VW Compliance Executive Awaiting Trial to Remain in Prison
- Wed, 24 May 2017 18:53:59 EDT - The Sixth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati on Wednesday affirmed a district judge’s order keeping Oliver Schmidt behind bars in Michigan amid concerns he would flee the country if released on a $1.6 million bond.